Call 561-361-7495 for a Reading Comprehension Strategy Session
Reading Comprehension Problems Often Persist. Just consider:
- Almost 90% of the first graders with a word identification problem will become poor readers in fourth grade
- Over 70% of third graders with a reading disability (dyslexia) will still have the reading disability (dyslexia) in 12th grade
- Many students continue to fall further behind every year
We have witnessed these challenges with our own kids and thousands of others. We also know that we can often help a child to dramatically improve his or her reading comprehension in months not years. We also know there is time to:
- Improve your child’s comprehension before testing this year
- Significantly improve your child’s comprehension prior to the next school year
Consider these three cases:
- A second grader who improved her comprehension 2 grade levels in 3 months
- A 5th grader who improved her comprehension 4 grade levels in 6 month. while doubling her reading speed
- A 9th grader who improved his comprehension 4 grade levels in 3 months while improving his reading speed by 80%
7 Key Steps to Improve Comprehension
- We start with a reading speed and comprehension assessment. Others often use indirect measures of reading. A direct focus on the key issue of comprehension is essential.
- We have found that mastering sight word vocabulary is a critical skill. This is approached most effectively in 3 dimensions.
- We address the key visual processing, attention and working memory issues that are critical. Each child has individual needs.
- Your child must learn how to visualize information being learned before true and enduring comprehension can take place.
- Assistive technology can be helpful.
- It is important to tap into your child’s interests during the process of improving comprehension. This is what builds a lifelong love of reading. Later, children can read other things, but at first we go with a “Chocolate Diet” – reading what your child loves to read.
- Improving comprehension and the love of reading is the proven approach to success. Improving reading speed and comprehension, and cultivating a love of reading creates massive change.
We offer a Success Assessment that screens for a learning difference and attention, anxiety and eye-teaming challenges. We recommend you do the “Online Success Assessment” with your child — their answers may surprise you. Then give us a call to discuss the results.