Reading comprehension is often a significant risk for the visual learner. Most schools and programs focus on reading fluency (i.e. sounding out words) and do not leverage your child’s gifts or identify some of the underlying challenges (e.g. word identification, high frequency word vocabulary, working memory, processing speed, visual processing, brain integration or engaging your child in the process)
With the chaotic school situation since March 2020, reading comprehension gaps have widened for the smart struggling student.
First and foremost, put improving reading comprehension as the key goal – phonics, phonemic awareness and the issues identified above are all important, but it is critical to identify the key goal. For most students, improving reading comprehension, instilling that spark for learning and building self-esteem are often among our top goals.
From our perspective, the critical steps to improve your Visual Learner’s reading comprehension are to:
Recognize that your child is a Visual Learner. That is, a student who learns best when he or she sees and experiences information – if you have not already done so – take our Discover if your child is a Visual Learner quiz.
If your child is a visual learner, have your child assessed by a professional who understands a Visual Learner’s gifts, challenges and upside potential. Make sure they assess your child’s present level of reading comprehension, too
The smart and even gifted Visual Learner is often seen as a student with limited potential.
At 3D Learner, our goal is to help your Visual Learner to be all they can be.
- A Visual Learner is often below and may be well below grade level.
- A smart and even gifted visual learner may be near or at grade level.
- Most Visual Learners have the potential to significantly improve their reading comprehension if one capitalizes on their gifts, identifies and addresses their issues and engages your student in the process.
You then want to work with a professional who knows how to significantly improve your child’s reading comprehension.
Follow through is often critical.
3D Learner can help in the following ways:
- If you are trying to determine if your child is a visual learner – take our no cost Discover if your child is a visual learner quiz
You will get immediate feedback and our e-book on Ten Tips to Your Visual Learner’s Success.
- Click here to either set-up an Improve My Child’s Reading Comprehension Strategy Session to discuss the two or three key issues you would like to explore.
- Arrange for a Comprehensive Assessment.
- Discuss program options.