Best Way to Beat Third Grade Retention – Effective Remediation
Donna Volpitta wrote an article for Understood titled “The School Says My Child Needs to Repeat Third Grade. What Can I Do?”
Our 3D Learner Team has looked at 3rd Grade Retention, and we decided to shift the focus to Success by Third Grade.
Our rationale for this shift is based on the following 7 premises:
– The chances a child might be faced with third grade retention are likely to be 50% higher in 2016 when the new passing scores are in effect
– Neither the Federal Department of Education nor the Florida Department of Education are focused on Success by Third Grade — in Florida the passing scores for both 4th and 5th grade reading each count 4 times as much as the 3rd grade passing scores — therefore, some schools are shifting resources to 4th and 5th graders
– Many smart struggling students face the risk of third grade retention, because they learn differently (i.e. they are right-brain learners) and they often have attention, eye-teaming and/or related issues
– Success by Third Grade is far more likely for a right-brain learner if he or she is taught with a right-brain program and their attention, eye-teaming and related issues are identified and addressed
– Schools do not tend to look at how a child learns best nor do they identify and address the attention, eye-teaming and/or related issues
– As a parent, you want your child to achieve Success by 3rd Grade and you want to avoid 3rd grade retention
– You want to be the Informed, Empowered and Proactive Parents who make the difference for your child
We have embarked on a Success by Third Grade campaign. We have met with the United States Department of Education and the Florida Department of Education and at present, we must admit their reaction has been a polite nod. They say they will consider it, but they continue to focus on expanding preschool and increasing high school graduation rates.
That leaves the burden to your child’s teacher and you. To find an outside solution, the burden falls squarely on you – the parents.
The good news is the Learning Disabilities Association of Florida, the Florida Advocacy Coalition on Learning Differences and the Learning Disabilities Association of America have adopted Success by Third Grade as a key initiative
To help parents and educators to understand the risks and the opportunities we have:
– Written a short book title “Success by 3rd Grade”
– A webpage devoted to Success by 3rd Grade
– We will continue to provide webinars, articles, and programs on Success by Third Grade
We realize that quality organizations like NCLD and LDA has put out valuable information on Third Grade Retention and Best Practices and we suggest you read them
We then urge you to use Third Grade Retention risks as a catalyst to shift the focus to Success by Third Grade
Visit our Success by 3rd Grade webpage, download our Success by 3rd Grade book and take our Success Assessment
Then consider Effective Remediation as the best way to Beat Third Grade Retention and to achieve Success by Third Grade for your child
If you have any questions, or would like a no cost Strategy Session, call us at 561-361-7495