Parent Guide to Third Grade Retention Focused on Success by Third Grade or Sooner
(Call 561-361-7495 for help)
The 3D Learner Parent Guide to Third Grade Retention is focused on Success by Third Grade or Sooner. Below we share what the State of Florida provides and what Understood.org provide as a Parent Guide to Third Grade Retention. We focus on Success by Third Grade or Sooner should be the focus because:
- At this age most students can catch up and some can improve their reading to above grade level
- This will lead to far greater success in school and in life
- You will avoid remedial reading, summer school and the threat of grade retention
The 3D Learner Guide to beat third grade retention is to:
- Have the mindset that you can and will make the difference
- Assess for Success
- Partner with the right professionals who will complement what schools offer and will help your child be promoted and be successful in fourth grade and beyond
Most smart and gifted students who face the third grade retention risk are visual learners and many of these students have attention, visual processing and/or related issues. We do offer a success assessment you can do with your child — it is done at no cost, you get immediate feedback and you can call us at 561-361-7495 for your no cost Stress to Success by Third Grade or Sooner Strategy Session — you can access this at Success Assessment
There is really no Parent Guide to Third Grade Retention for Your Smart and/or Gifted Child. The Florida Department of Education has put together a useful document that can serve as a Parent Guide to Third Grade Retention statutes and the Good Cause Exemptions to Avoid Third Grade Retention.
Understood.org has their own Third Grade Retention Guide.
Their three key recommendations are:
- It may be helpful to get a copy of your state’s retention law and ask the school to explain it.
- Depending on the state, students with IEPs or 504 plans may be able to move on to fourth grade without meeting the reading standard.
- Some retention laws include protections to help struggling kids long before third grade.
Florida’s laws are fairly straightforward for third grade retention. Specifically:
- A parent has the right to ask for a student portfolio to be started if their child is at risk for third grade retention
- A student can be promoted if he or she passes the Third Grade Reading FSA, the SAT 10 at the end of the school year, or an end of summer test
- The only protection for a student with an IEP (Individualized Education Program) is that the child cannot be held back twice before fourth grade
Third Grade Retention is of little long term value is one of the key points of the NEA, National Education Association, article on third grade retention. Two of the key quotes from this article are:
- The short term effects of retention have the potential to stigmatize students as less capable or less intelligent, and these types of stigma can scar their educational careers (Andrew, 2014).
- Additionally, there is ample research indicating that retention has a negative impact on long-term academic performance and is the single largest predictor
of dropping out (Rumberger, 1995; Smith, 2004; Smith & Shepard, 1987).
We have gotten numerous calls from parents whose child is facing possible third grade retention. Unlike others, we see the third grade retention as a catalyst that can lead to Success by Third Grade or Sooner.
In our soon to be released new Parent Guide to Third Grade Retention, we will focus on three key items:
- Mindset — we believe that by shifting your mindset to “How can we help our child to be all he or she can be”, you can change your child’s life
- Assessing for Success is far different than assessing for a disability and it too can change your child’s life
- Partnering with the right professionals can make the difference — this is often a combination of in school and outside professionals\
We do offer a success assessment you can do with your child — it is done at no cost, you get immediate feedback and you can call us at 561-361-7495 for your no cost Stress to Success by Third Grade or Sooner Strategy Session — you can access this at Success Assessment. We will also be providing valuable tips on how you can make the difference.