Third Grade Retention, Second Grade Retention and First Grade Retention Can Often Be Avoided
First Step to Avoid Third Grade Retention is to take our Online Success Assessment with Your Child and call for a Success By Third Grade or Sooner Strategy Session at 561-361-7495
Crunch Time to Avoid Third Grade Retention. Now, more parents than ever are calling to say their child is at risk for first grade retention or second grade retention. Parents who call in March or in June to avoid third grade retention are praying their child can clear the hurdles to be promoted to 4th grade. Far better to act today.
Third grade retention laws impact students in 16 states plus the District of Columbia. Florida led the way when they passed a third grade retention bill back in 2002. Public and charter school parents often call us with several fears and frustrations that include:
- Being worried about third grade retention, and also first grade retention and second grade retention
- Their smart child is struggling and often schools are not concerned
- More often, the school has raised the risk of first, second or third grade retention and parents are not sure what to do next
- The school is too often refusing to assess their child or do what is necessary to help their child succeed
- Parents are not sure what the implications are for opting out of third grade testing and what are their options to prevent third grade retention
The bottom line is that schools are more focused on avoiding third grade retention than they are on improving the percent of students who achieve Success by Third Grade
Private school parents may not be facing the same third grade retention risks, but they are often frustrated that their smart child is struggling.
3D Learner can help you in many ways:
- We identify why your smart child is struggling. Many of the students facing retention are visual learners — whose preferred learning style is different than the ways schools teach. Often, students who learn differently also skip words and lines when reading, and have attention, eye-teaming and/or related issues.
- We help you expedite the evaluation process. Too often schools use the Response to Intervention process first and only evaluate students for special education after the RTI process is completed. We provide a process to expedite the evaluation process and get the two done simultaneously at Avoid The RTI Trap.
- We offer intensive and effective programs that can make the difference for your child
- We understand the Good Cause Exemptions in Florida that can help a student avoid third grade retention and how best to help your child
- Our most valuable service is helping students to improve his or her reading comprehension to grade level or above and in many cases avoid even the risk of first grade, second grade or third grade retention
We have developed a no cost assessment that indicates whether your child might be a visual learner, and to see if they might have an attention and/or visual processing challenge. To do this, we recommend can you sit down at the computer with your child, take our Success Assessment, and you will get immediate feedback. You can then call for a Success by Third Grade or Sooner Strategy Session at 561-361-7495
5 Strategies to Avoid Third Grade Retention and Achieve Success by Third Grade Sooner
1. We teach in a hands-on way that teaches the way 65% of the students learn, and the way most smart struggling students learn.
2. We identify and address the attention and/or eye-teaming issues with natural solutions.
3. We engage your child in a way that dramatically improves his or her reading comprehension test scores. Some of our results include:
- Helping a struggling first grader go from Special Education to the Gifted Program — she was always smart, and we capitalized on her strengths and identified and addressed her challenges.
- Helping a second grader whose Lexile Score was at a 0, well below grade level, improve to grade level in 6 weeks
- Helping a 2nd grader improve from the 18th to the 49th percentile in a few months and to the 83rd percentile by 3rd grade
- Helping a 3rd grader at a private school go from the worst reader in her 3rd grade class to the best and most avid reader in her 4th grade class
- Helping a 3rd grader go from third grade retention being a virtual certainty to being above grade level within months
ALL 5 are doing very well now
4. Our students often learn to love reading. Students who are reluctant readers are really frustrated with the “Kill and Drill” approaches used in other programs. One of our second grade students told another student who was visiting our place. “This place is more fun than the beach and you learn to love reading”.
5. We help you to be the coach and advocate your child needs. We help to improve results and get your child the services he or she needs at school.
To start the process, we recommend taking our Online Success Assessment and calling us at 561-361-7495 for a No Cost Stress to Outrageous Success Strategy Session to discuss the results.
If you live in South Florida, come to our office for our short, effective and affordable assessment. Click on Focus Assessment to see what we do.
If you have already done the Success Assessment in the last year, just call us at 561-361-7495 to discuss your concerns.
3 Things You Can Do To Help Your Child Avoid Third Grade Retention and Achieve Success by Third Grade or Sooner
- To better understand how your struggling gifted child learns, and how you can capitalize on those strengths, DOWNLOAD our book “Success by 3rd Grade”
- Take our free Online Success Assessment. It will help you see if your smart struggling gifted child learns differently.
- After taking the assessment, give us a call and ask us your questions. We’ll help you better understand what your struggling gifted child is dealing with, and what you can do to make a positive difference.