With the pressure on your kids to succeed, reading comprehension and working memory are two skills that often need to be improved.
With the new and much more rigorous Common Core standards, reading comprehension levels are now 1.5 to 2 grade levels below where your child might have been last year. Therefore, a 5th grader who was a year behind in 4th grade, may now be 2.5 to 3 years below grade level in 5th grade.
Two quotes from an Annie E. Casey Foundation Report that are quite relevant:
“Our current approach to testing and standards masks the extent of our nation’s problem with reading proficiency.”
“Up to half of the printed fourth-grade curriculum is incomprehensible to students who read below that grade level, according to the Children’s Reading Foundation. And three-quarters of the students who are poor readers in third grade will remain poor readers in high school, according to researchers at Yale University.”
Source: The Annie E. Casey Foundation
We have been using the Reading Plus Software ® for 18 years to improve student’s vocabulary, reading speed and comprehension. Over a year ago, Reading Plus updated their program to be consistent with the new Common Core and Florida State Standards.
The three major advantages of their new software are:
- It provides an accurate and sobering indication of your child’s reading speed and comprehension levels.
- It allows the student to pick passages in areas they prefer, so students are engaged and results are much better.
- It is designed to improve visual tracking, vocabulary, reading fluency and comprehension.
Consistency is essential! Comprehension gains have been 3 to 4 times greater for those students who do the program 4 times a week, versus those who do it once a week.
BrainWare® Safari Cognitive Skill Training combines the latest neuroscience with the best of video-game technology. By strengthening the mental processing skills (called cognitive skills) that are the most necessary for performance in school, work and life, BrainWare Safari builds learning capacity and effective thinking. It is different from other brain training programs because it works the mind the way the mind was designed to work – like cross-training for the brain. Some of the gains include:
- More efficient thinking pathways
- Better recall of information
- Greater attention to detail
- Stronger visualization skills
- Improved mental speed.
In peer-reviewed published research, students who used the program experienced an average of over four years of intellectual growth, and almost two years of academic growth.
Cogmed Working Memory ®, is an evidenced-based program to help children, adolescents and adults sustainably improve attention by training their working memory.
Reading passages on standardized tests are now 800 words in length. Working memory, the ability to remember what one has just learned or read, is more important than ever. Working memory challenges show up when:
- A student has read a long passage and is asked to answer questions about it
- A student has learned some material and can now remember it later, when they need to apply it
- Math facts, spelling words and other materials need to be mastered
We have found that when students do Reading Plus and a working memory program at the same time, the results are far better for improving vocabulary, reading speed, comprehension and working memory.
BrainWare Safari is a 4-month program that should be done
three and preferably four times a week.
Reading Plus is a 4-month program that should be done
three times a week and preferably four.
Cogmed is a 10-week program that must be done
at least three times a week.
Coaching session’s for parents will be held once a week in the evenings for the first 10 weeks, at a mutually agreeable time, to keep your child on track and provide you with tools to help your child succeed.
Call today for a no cost assessment of your child’s reading speed and comprehension
For more information on how you can make the difference, call us at 561-361-7495
3 Things You Can Do To Help Your Right-Brain Learner
- To better understand how your child learns, and how you can capitalize on those strengths, DOWNLOAD Mira’s short, uplifting book “Life is a Ball, Don’t Put Me in a Box.”
- Take our no cost Online Success Assessment. It will help you see if your child is a right-brain learner and whether your child has an attention, eye-teaming and/or related issue
- After taking the assessment, give us a call and ask us your questions. We’ll help you better understand what your child is dealing with, and what you can do to make a positive difference.