The dyslexia and visual processing controversy continues. This article on The Role of the Visual System in Reading and Dyslexia makes a comment we would disagree with.
” The fact that reading depends on the integrity of the visual system does not imply that visual impairments are a common cause of reading difficulties.”
The dyslexia and visual processing controversy does not recognize that many students with dyslexia have a visual processing issue, too. As a student myself, I got severe headaches because of convergence insufficiency. Convergence insufficiency is a common problem that impacts reading. Until that issue was addressed, I could not tolerate reading for more than 10 minutes. Once it was addressed, I could read for a long time.
Dyslexia and Visual Processing — A Video on Visual Tracking
This video on Eye-Teaming Before and After Treatment shows how a student tracked before and after treatment.
After viewing this video, we have had a number of physicians recognize the problem and the benefits of the intervention.
Note, visual skills training has proven to be very helpful for over a thousand of our students. Visual skills training has also been very effective for hundreds of others we know. Many students with dyslexia have never been tested for a visual processing issue. With many of our students, addressing the visual processing issue was a critical component in their success. We believe the dyslexia and visual processing issues both need to be identified and addressed, where needed.
We have found that most dyslexic students we see are visual learners with dyslexia. That is, students who learn best when he or she sees and experiences information and who also has dyslexia. We estimate that 80 to 90% of the students with dyslexia are visual learners. Note, studies show that 65% of the kids today are visual learners and most of the other 35% are less likely to have a reading problem.
Dyslexia and Visual Processing for Your Child
When dyslexia and visual processing challenges are suspected, we recommend:
- Assessing to see if your child is a visual learner — because that might lead to different program options
- Assessing to see if your child has a visual processing issue
- Also assessing for dyslexia
- Dealing with all the issues with an integrated and effective approach
To help parents, we have developed a tool that screens for the visual learner and for visual processing and attention issues. We recommend you do our Success Assessment with your child. You will get immediate feedback and you can then call us for a no cost Pathway from Stress to Success Strategy Session at 561-361-7495
Note, while others may continue the dyslexia and visual processing debate, as a parent, you want to deal with the specific strengths and challenges facing your child.