Do You Have a Smart Struggling Child?
We are Focused on Helping
You to Make The Difference
Three common themes to this new school year are demonstrated from these calls:
- What is going on? My 3rd grader in a regular class is reading the same passage my 5th grade gifted child read last year
- These math questions are crazy! They want my child to add 34 to 61, and rather than adding a 1 and a 4, and a 3 and a 6 to get 95, they want him to use a number line and then write an explanation for what he did. Is this the new Florida State Standards, or is the teacher doing something unusual?
- The first few weeks used to be a review, but this year the work is hard already – what is going on?
The teachers are under great stress too.
Many parents who have a smart struggling child are calling, and there is a good reason to act. This year will be the biggest change in standards for all Florida public and charter school students. These changes will impact most private school students, too.
To help you to navigate these turbulent times, 3D Learner has created Parent Success University – where you can learn why the work is so much harder, how you can help your child today, and how you can make the difference for your child this school year.
Our 1st event will be Sunday September 14th from 10 am to 1 pm at Sugar Sand Park
For more details go to www.3dlearner.com/events or call us at 561-361-7495
There will be a similar event in Pembroke Pines on Saturday, September 13th from ` 10 to 1. The same events page has details on both events.
If you are feeling like the world got real hard overnight, you are no alone. Our calls over the first two weeks of school are up 240% from last year, and there are three distinct differences:
- We have had several calls from parents of gifted children. These students often coasted for the first couple of months. Not this year.
- We have had a number of calls from parents whose child is neither gifted nor does their child have dyslexia or a learning disability. The reading material is really hard, the math is very different, and homework is taking far longer with much more stress than the parents would have expected.
- The parents of students with dyslexia or a learning disability are finding life incredibly tough. The reading material is much harder, their child is lost in math, and the parents are really frustrated.
While one expected these calls from public school parents, a surprising number of these calls are from private school parents, who are seeing a similar change as the work has gotten much harder.
The reality is that the new Florida State Standards are much harder than the previous FCAT 2.0 standards. What is even worse is that the work will get much harder and when the new Florida State Assessments are given next March and April there is likely to be a significant drop in scores.
Featured speakers at our event will include:
- Dr. Lisa Sirota, a pediatrician, who will be speaking on Holistic Approaches to ADHD
- Dr. Jeff Krantlzer, a licensed clinical social worker, speaking on Mental Health Strategies
- Maggie MaCauley, a parent expert, on how to manage homework challenges
- Mira Halpert, 3D Learner Program ® Developer, on Embracing your child’s gifts and teaching to strengths
- Mark Halpert, 3D Learner, Recognize the risks, goal set and commit to success
We encourage you to join us, and if you have recommendations for speakers or topics, please e-mail us at parents @3dlearner.com or call us at 561-361-7495.