Success in Months Not Years requires a different approach for a right-brain learner.
The challenges for a right-brain learner may be viewed as similar to that of the elephant in the cartoon below
What test should you give to a bird, a chimpanzee, a penguin, an elephant, a fish, a seal and a dog? The tree climbing one, of course.
Students who are smart and learn differently, often find traditional drill and kill programs to be frustrating and boring, and the students often resist the programs.
5 Reasons Why Asking a Right-Brain Learner to do a Traditional Program May Not Work
First, right-brain learners tend to struggle with understanding the sight or frequently used words (e.g. what,. but, if, except etc.)
Second, right-brain learners often do not recognize word patterns — confusing what, why, that etc.
Third, right-brain learners often struggle paying attention to that which is boring
Fourth, right-brain learners often skip words and lines when reading
Fifth, right-brain learners often have low self-esteem — because they are often tested on things they cannot do
When a typical parent visits a Kumon Learning Center, a Huntington Learning Center or a Sylvan Learning Center, the recommendations may be for a year, two years or in some cases three years of remediation.
When we speak with Wilson providers, who offer a sound phonics-based program, they will often tell you that the program takes 2 to 3 years, because it is specifically designed to make sure a student masters every skill before moving on.
When we look at a bright right-brain learner who has the challenges outlined above, we often see a bright right-brain learner, who can make significant gains in months, when the students is engaged in the process, the student’s challenges are identified and addressed.
There is also a process of self-selection:
– Some parents tell us that it would be nice to have their child’s reading comprehension improve 2 to 3 grade levels witghin 4 to 6 months, but they are not willing to put in the work required to make it happen
– Other parents are more than willing to commit the few hours a week of committed effort that is required to make these gains
There are a few really critical benefits for a shorter and faster acting program for a bright right-brain learner:
– These students can often stay hyper-focused for months when they are getting feedback and making steady progress
– When the student’s attention and eye-teaming are improved, the students often see significant improvements in sports skills, music and other activities where improved motor planning is important
– Self-esteem is often improved, which provides even greater motivation
As a parent, there are three things you may want to do:
– Understand the world of right-brain learners — Mira has written a light and empowering book we would like to make available to you at no cost titled — “Life is a Ball Do Not Put Me in a Box”
– Our no cost Success Assessment to see if your child learns differently and has an attention or eye-teaming issue
– Call us for a no cost consult if it firts
Visit 3D Learner for more info