Reading Fluency Reading Comprehension, and Reading Plus (R) are three different ways students reading are assessed
Matt, a 3rd grader had the following scores:
– Reading Fluency — close to grade level
– Reading Comprehension — 2nd grade level per a Woodcock Johnson Reading Tests
– Reading Plus – a 1st grade level in reading comprehension
These findings are consistent with what we are finding in many cases and what is really challenging is that they are all accurate
Reading fluency measures how well a student reads out loud. Historically, reading fluency has correlated well with reading comprehension. As the reading passages get longer, the text more complex and the questions require more critical thinking skills, the correlation between reading fluency and reading comprehension,how the student the students comprehends what the student reads, is likely to decline.
The Woodcock Johnson reading comprehension test directly measures reading comprehension with 500 word passages. This is closer to the 800 word passages that the new Common Core Assessments and Florida State Assessments will have. Therefore, these reading comprehension tests may be closer to how the student will perform on the state mandated tests.
Reading Plus, a provider of reading comprehension software, has changed their software to make it as consistent as possible with the new Common Core Assessments — and the Florida State Assessments.
Their passages are 800 words long, the text is complex and the questions require more critical thinking skills.
The challenge with Reading Plus is the assessment may take 45 minutes and that is a long time for a school based assessment.
We use the Reading Plus Assessment (RPA) and the Reading Plus Software because:
– The Reading Plus Assessment most accurately mirrors what your child will be expected to do
– The Reading Plus training allows the student to read passages on subjects they enjoy
– It has visual tracking and vocabulary modules that build tracking and vocabulary skills
– The program systematically builds reading speed — often doubling reading speed over a 4 to 6 month period
– The Reading Plus comprehension exercises start your child with where your child is at and improves reading comprehension
– With a combination of Reading Plus work, other educational intervention and the right coaching, our students can make dramatic gains over a 4 to 6 month period
To get a Reading Plus Assessment complete the Success Assessment at the bottom of the 3D Learner Home Page and give us a call at 561-361-7495