Find The Right Boca Raton Dyslexia Success Plan for Your Child
Interesting to see what happens when a person follows different Boca Raton Dyslexia recommendations.
Very often a psychologists report finds dyslexia and recommends the student go to a Private School that will cater to students with dyslexia. This recommendation avoids the high stakes testing and grade retention — but it is not what we would call a Dyslexia Success Plan.
In other cases, we see recommendations for a phonics-based program, often accompanied by a recommendation for ADHD Medication.
Parents often follow this recommendation and often report back that:
– The phonics-based program did improve their child’s reading, but not their child’s reading comprehension, test scores or their love of reading
– ADHD Medication may help, but it does not address the dyslexia.
– Standardized test scores continue to suffer
While these recommendations do help some students, why do they not help so many others.
Consider what we call — the Boca Raton Dyslexia Success Plan. If a child with dyslexia were to become very successful, what would be the key outcomes:
– A dramatic improvement in reading comprehension and reading speed
– Standardized test scores improving to grade level or above
– Your child learning to love learning
– Improved ability to remember spelling words, math facts and to avoid reversal problems
– Increase in self-esteem and self-advocacy skills
– Identifying and addressing the attention, eye teaming and related issues that often impact a student with dyslexia
– Ability to handle math word problems
– Reducing homework time and stress
– Having your child engaged in the reading and learning process
– Achieving success in months and not years
– Reducing the stress and anxiety
Against this backdrop:
– The private school option often reduced the stress and anxiety almost immediately and it does reduce homework time and stress. The other factors may or may not be impacted
– The phonics-based approach is does take years, and it often does not address improving reading comprehension, test scores, love of learning or reducing homework time and stress. Nor does this approach impact the attention, eye teaming, spelling, self-esteem or self-advocacy skills
– Doing nothing is also not an option — this often leads to the student falling further and further behind
What is the Boca Raton Dyslexia Success Plan we prescribe:
1- It is critical to know how your child learns best. Phonics works for kids who learn best with a logical, sequential and auditory approach. Unfortunately, most students with dyslexia are visual-spatial learners, who learn best when the student sees and experiences information. The first step is to check to see how your child learns best
2- Identifying the attention, eye-teaming, working memory and/or processing speed issues that often impact students with dyslexia
3- Knowing your child’s present reading speed and reading comprehension levels
4- Determining what else is important to you
5- Setting goals that might include:
– Dramatically improving reading speed and reading comprehension within months and not years
– Significantly improving test scores
– Reducing homework time and stress
– Building self-esteem and self-advocacy skills
– Setting a non-academic goal -(e.g baseball, golf, in music, dance or something that is important to your child
– Getting the right accommodations at school and building a real collaborative effort
– Helping you to be the coach and advocate your child needs
To start the process go to the 3D Learner Dyslexia Page