Very often parents of 4th and 5th graders get that feeling around this time of year, that things are not getting better. Some professionals tell you not to worry, but …
The numbers tell a different story. Research shows that over 70 percent of the 3rd graders with a reading comprehension problem will still have the problem in 12th grade.
The three biggest challenges by this time are:
- Most parents have tried some combination of psycho-educational testing, tutoring, learning centers, and specialty programs without the desired results
- Parents and kids have lost faith – they are often not sure they will be able to address the issue
- Parents may now realize their child learns differently and has some combination of attention and eye-teaming issues, but they are not aware how to capitalize on their child’s strengths and are not aware there are natural ways to address attention and anxiety issues
Since 1997, we have helped hundreds of 4th and 5th graders.
- In our email we referenced the students who are now at Harvard and MIT. It was about this time of year when they were in 4th grade when their mother called. She wanted to know if we could help, and we were honest – we need to understand more about your child’s learning style, strengths and challenges – but they sounded just like the students we can help. Some of our greatest successes come from bright kids who learn differently and who have committed parents.
- One 5th grade mom went to her child’s school principal. She explained her daughter was at the 48th percentile and she wanted to know what she could do to help her daughter reach her full potential. The principal responded there was no need to take action, someone had to be average. With our help the young lady improved to the 95th percentile in a year and finished high school in the top 7% of her high school class. Once again, the parent made the difference.
- Another 5th grader was reading two years below grade level and attention was really a challenge. With our help he improved his comprehension 4 grade levels in a year. Better than that:
- A friend with a 5th grade daughter noticed the progress after two weeks and she too became a client. Her daughter improved from a C- to an A- average that year and got all As in high school. Her self-esteem soared and her ulcer disappeared. Even better…
- She then recommended the program to a friend whose daughter improved from the worst reader in her class to the best and most avid reader in her class
Friends help friends! Sometimes parents have a hard time sharing with others that their seemingly really smart child is struggling in school, or experiencing ‘melt-downs’ after school! It seems like no one wants to talk about kids having a difficult time!!!! We are here to listen- and help where we can.
WE HAVE BEEN THERE- we understand your angst! Your child genuinely WANTS to succeed- let us help you show you how you can be that change agent!!
- Their parents adopted a Success Mindset – they were committed to Success and Open on how to make it happen.
- Through our insights, they realized that:
- Their child learned differently
- Their child has some combination of learning differently and attention, eye-teaming and/or related challenges
- Their child had the potential to do far better
- They chose to partner with us because we taught to their child’s strengths and engaged their child in the learning process, we identified and addressed their child’s challenges and we worked with the parent to set and achieve goals. This is quite different than other programs in 5 key ways:
- Our hands-on program focuses on building sight-word vocabulary, teaching our students how to recognize words they have seen and not mastered and to visualize what they read
- We identify and address the relevant challenges that might include attention, eye-teaming, working memory, processing speed and stress
- We leverage reading and vision software, where needed, to accelerate learning gains
- We help parents to be the coach and advocate their child needs
- We work with parents to improve self-esteem, self-advocacy skills and to enjoy reading
If you have a smart struggling 4th or 5th grader (OR ANY GRADE) give us a call for a no cost Strategy Session at 561-361-7495.