Very often parents of 3rd graders get that feeling around this time of year that things are not getting better. Some professionals tell you not to worry, but …
The numbers tell a different story. Research shows that over 70 percent of the 3rd graders with a reading comprehension problem will still have the problem in 12th grade.
The five biggest challenges by this time are:
- For students in states like Florida who are in public or charter schools, there is a risk of third grade retention
- The 3rd grade retention laws are complex and parents often get advice that may not be in your child’s best interests
- Most parents have tried some combination of psycho-educational testing, tutoring, learning centers, and specialty programs without the desired results
- Parents and kids have lost faith – they are often not sure they will be able to address the issue
- Parents may now realize their child learns differently and has some combination of attention and eye-teaming issues, but they are not aware how to capitalize on their child’s strengths and are not aware there are natural ways to address attention and anxiety issues.
Mark is well versed in third grade retention laws. Several things to know for Florida:
- A parent of a student in grade 3 who is identified anytime during the year as being at risk of retention may request that the school immediately begin collecting evidence for a portfolio”. This is from Florida statute 1008.25
- Some parents have been advised to opt-out of the 3rd grade reading test. The state was sued last year when some districts held back students who opted-out. The state is likely to clarify the situation, but it is our recommendation that if your child is struggling, the best way to help your child is to improve their reading comprehension
- The situation is fluid and constantly changing. If you have any questions, please call Mark at 561-361-7495
Since 1997, we have helped hundreds of 3rd graders.
- We helped one 3rd grader who whose parents were told 3rd grade retention was unavoidable. With our help she scored above grade level, she has continued to do so, and in 10th grade she had a 4.2 grade point average
- We had a 3rd grader who was the worst reader in her class. With our help, she became the best reader in her class, she won a competition for reading the most pages in a month and she has done very well since
- A parent of a 3rd grader was told to move him to another private school, With our help, he improved his comprehension 3 grade levels in a year and according to his teacher:
“T made more progress in a year than any student I have had in 27 years of teaching”.
WE HAVE BEEN THERE- we understand your angst! Your child genuinely WANTS to succeed- let us help you show you how you can be that change agent!!
- Their parents adopted a Success Mindset – they were committed to Success and Open on how to make it happen.
- Through our insights, they realized that:
- Their child learned differently
Their child had the potential to do far betterThey chose to partner with us because we taught to their child’s strengths and engaged their child in the learning process, we identified and addressed their child’s challenges and we worked with the parent to set and achieve goals. This is quite different than other programs in 5 key ways:
- Our hands-on program focuses on building sight-word vocabulary, teaching our students how to recognize words they have seen and not mastered and to visualize what they read
- We identify and address the relevant challenges that might include attention, eye-teaming, working memory, processing speed and stress
- We leverage reading and vision software, where needed, to accelerate learning gains
- We help parents to be the coach and advocate their child needs
- We work with parents to improve self-esteem, self-advocacy skills and to enjoy reading
If you have a smart struggling 3rd grader (OR ANY GRADE) give us a call for a no cost Strategy Session at 561-361-7495